Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011

Standing over the edge of 2011, I sense that my toes are peeking out over a high precipice. The fear of heights is overtaking me. Why am I here? What am I doing? I must be an idiot. I seek to blame, to doubt, to avoid. Yet I sense also a promise. I sense something that I cannot see. The clouds are thick and the sky is dark. There is something out there; I do not quite know yet what it is. This could be the year when I fall to my ultimate doom. It could be the year of restoration. It could be another year of struggle. I do not even know if I am at the top of the mountain yet. Where will I go from here?

Slowly I realize the self-centeredness of this all. The “I” is way too prevalent in my life. My love for the Lord seems directly correlated with what He does for me. If this is the year when I am laying in broken pieces at the bottom of the cliff, if I am in valley of peace, or if I am bearing the burden of more climbing, my reaction will not change. I am going to praise the Lord. Not for what He has done or for what He is going to do, but for who He is.

My praise and adoration need not be linked to my life circumstances. I will praise the Lord because He is worthy. I praise Him because of who He is. Come what may, I will praise Him.

The song of my heart which was written over 335 years ago:

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;

Praise Him, all creatures here below;

Praise Him above, ye Heavenly Host;

Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Amen. I'm so glad you & Anna & the boys will live even closer soon; we're praying that God will keep guiding y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don, I just read this--Feb. 20. Amen! Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete